Business Start Up Course
Turn your business idea into reality with our free, two day start up course. We’ll take you through the complete business planning process from concept to launch.
The course is run by one of our highly experienced business advisors who has a wealth of knowledge across a huge variety of business stages and sectors. They know exactly what it takes to plan and launch a successful and sustainable business.
It is run over two full days and the numbers are limited to ensure that the standard of teaching is kept high and that there is enough time for individual tuition.
DAY ONE – Thursday 4th October (9.30am to 4.30pm)
1. Knowing Your Business
An initial one-to-one meeting with an experienced business advisor including a detailed assessment of your business idea.
• Basics of self-employment including company types.
• Your personal financial requirements and budget.
• Viability of your business and testing the market.
• Understanding the basics of a marketing and sales plan.
• Your business goals and how to avoid potential pitfalls.
2. Marketing Your Business
This session will focus on helping you to develop an effective marketing plan as well as setting prices for your products and services.
- How to carry out effective market research and interpreting the results.
- Identifying your target audience.
- Carrying out a SWOT analysis to understand about your business and your competitors.
- How to price your products or services.
- Marketing strategies to attract customers.
- Preparing your marketing plan using SMART objectives.
DAY TWO – Thursday 11th October (9.30am to 4.30pm)
3. Financial Fundamentals
The third session is all about finances. You’ll get guidance on how to successfully manage your finances and importantly, how to make a profit.
- Developing financial confidence and understanding terminology.
- How to prepare financial forecasts.
- Calculating business income and expenditure.
- Understanding the difference between profit and cash flow.
- Funding options for your business including how to apply for loans and grants.
4. Practical Business
This final session will see you on your way to launching your new business, armed with a comprehensive plan of action.
You’ll look at the practicalities of running your own business as well as the boring but vital legal stuff.
- Registering your business with HMRC.
- Understanding how to prepare and organise tax returns.
- How and when you have to register for VAT.
- Business premises and insurance.
- Health and safety legislation.
- The basics of becoming an employer.
- Finalising your business plan.
To be eligible to attend this free workshop you need to be based in one of the following local council areas: East Devon, Mid Devon, West Devon, South Hams, Teignbridge or Exeter. If you are unsure, you can check by entering your postcode into the Government Council Checker. You can find further details about the eligibility criteria here.
To bring with you:
If you are currently trading you must bring with you a copy of your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) Number that you will have received when you registered with HMRC. We need this to show our funders that you are operating a real business so that we can provide the support at no cost to you.
There will also be some forms that you need to complete and bring along with you to the workshop. Full details will be sent out in your confirmation email.
For more information about where to find your UTR number and details of the forms you will need to complete and bring with you, please click here.
If you have any questions about the eligibility criteria or information you need to bring with you please call us on 01837 608 250 before making a booking to avoid disappointment on the day.