Business Start Up Course
This workshop is for early-start businesses and you need to have either registered with Companies House or HMRC within the last 12 months to be eligible to attend.
Our free, two day start up course will take you through the complete business planning process to give your business the best chance of success. The course is run by one of our highly experienced business advisors who has a wealth of knowledge across a huge variety of business stages and sectors. They know exactly what it takes to develop a successful and sustainable business.
It is run over two full days and the numbers are limited to ensure that the standard of teaching is kept high and that there is enough time for individual tuition.
DAY ONE – Thursday 21st March (9.30am to 4.30pm)
1. Knowing Your Business
The first session will be getting to know your business and finances as well as how to start putting together a business plan.
- Self-employed vs limited company
- Your personal financial requirements and budget.
- Carrying out a SWOT analysis to understand about your business and your competitors.
- How to price your products or services.
- Your business goals and how to avoid potential pitfalls.
2. Marketing Your Business
This session will focus on helping you to develop an effective marketing plan as well as setting prices for your products and services.
- How to carry out effective market research and interpreting the results.
- Identifying your target audience.
- Understanding the basics of a marketing and sales plan.
- Marketing strategies to attract customers.
DAY TWO – Thursday 28th March (9.30am to 4.30pm)
3. Financial Fundamentals
The third session is all about finances. You’ll get guidance on how to successfully manage your finances and importantly, how to make a profit.
- Developing financial confidence and understanding terminology.
- How to prepare financial forecasts and business plan.
- Calculating business income and expenditure.
- Understanding the difference between profit and cash flow.
- Funding options for your business including how to apply for loans and grants.
4. Practical Business
This final session will see you on your way to launching your new business, armed with a comprehensive plan of action. You’ll look at the practicalities of running your own business as well as the boring but vital legal stuff.
- Understanding how to prepare and organise tax returns.
- How and when you have to register for VAT.
- Business premises.
- Business insurance.
- The basics of becoming an employer.
- Finalising your business planning.
To be eligible to attend this free workshop you need to be based in one of the following local council areas: East Devon, Mid Devon, West Devon, South Hams, Teignbridge or Exeter. If you are unsure, you can check by entering your postcode into the Government Council Checker. You can find further details about the eligibility criteria here. You also need to have registered with either Companies House or HMRC within the last 12 months.
To bring with you:
Please ensure you bring a copy of your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) Number that you will have received when you registered with HMRC. We need this to show our funders that you are operating a real business so that we can provide the support at no cost to you. Alternatively, please bring your Company Registration Number.
There will also be some forms that you need to complete and bring along with you to the workshop. Full details will be sent out in your confirmation email.
For more information about where to find your UTR number and details of the forms you will need to complete and bring with you, please click here.
If you have any questions about the eligibility criteria or information you need to bring with you please call us on 01837 659 059 before making a booking to avoid disappointment on the day.
The Start Up & Grow project is receiving funding from the England European Regional Development Fund (ERDF). The accountable body for this programme is Devon County Council.