Is Self-Employment Right For Me?
As part of East Devon District Council’s ‘Adapt & Thrive’ programme, this FREE workshop will give you the basics of self-employment to help you decide whether working for yourself is right for you.
Becoming self-employed or starting a business for the first time can be a daunting experience. It can certainly be a great way to make a living, working the hours that suit you and an opportunity to do something you enjoy. Unlike being employed though there is also the possibility that your income may be erratic and you won’t get holiday or sick leave.
This free workshop will give you a complete overview of what it means to be self-employed as well as the commitment required to start and sustain a profitable business.
By the end of this workshop you should have all the information you need to decide whether self-employment is right for you, including:
- Advantages and disadvantages of self-employment
- How self-employment differs from being employed
- Dealing with tax and self-assessment
- Understanding regulations and insurance
- What additional skills might you need?
- An overview of book-keeping
- How to obtain start-up funding
An experienced business advisor will be running the workshop and it is an interactive session, so questions are more than welcome at any point.
The session will be run online using Zoom and joining details will be sent via email nearer the time.
Date: 29th September 2020
Time: 9.30am to 12.30pm
This webinar is part of a four part, startup programme. The webinars will take you logically through from the basics of self-employment and starting your first business, through to learning how to create you own business website and Facebook business page. Follow the links below to book on to any or all sessions:
- Part 1: Is Self Employment Right For Me? (29th September)
- Part 2: Starting Your First Business (6th October)
- Part 3: Website Design & Getting Discovered Online (14th October)
- Part 4: Making the Most of Facebook for New Business (21st October)
To be eligible to attend this free workshop you need to be based in the East Devon area. If you are unsure, you can check by entering your postcode into the Government Council Checker.