Start Up Business Course
This FREE startup course for West Devon and South Hams residents will help you turn your business idea into reality this year as we take you through the fundamentals of starting your first business.
We will take you through the complete business planning process during three sessions to give your business the best chance of success. The course is run by one of our highly experienced business advisors who has a wealth of knowledge across a huge variety of business stages and sectors. They know exactly what it takes to develop a successful and sustainable business.
Session One: Start Up Business Basics – 10/03/21, 1.30pm to 4.30pm
You’ll get practical advice on a variety of vital business basics such as choosing the right business structure, managing finances and start-up funding as well as dealing with self-assessment tax.
- Basics of self-employment including company types.
- Personal financial requirements and budget.
- Understanding business income and expenditure.
- The difference between profit and cash flow.
- Funding options for your business including how to apply for loans and grants.
- Registering your business with HMRC.
- How to prepare and organise tax returns.
Session Two: Bringing Your Business To Life – 18/03/21, 1.30pm to 4.30pm
So you’ve got everything in place to launch your business but how do you find your first customers?
This is a question we’re often asked and this session is designed to help you research the market, identify your ideal customers and develop an effective marketing plan to give you the best possible start.
- How to carry out effective market research.
- Identifying your target audience.
- Carrying out a SWOT analysis to understand about your business and your competitors.
- How to price your products or services.
- Marketing strategies to attract customers.
- Preparing your marketing plan using SMART objectives.
Session Three: Taking Your Business Online – 25/03/21, 1.30pm to 4.30pm
Having an online presence for your new business is virtually essential as consumers are increasingly turning to the internet to research products, services and brands. If that isn’t convincing enough, a survey of over 2,000 small and micro-businesses by website provider 123-Reg found that businesses with a website were 51 per cent more likely to grow than those without.
The good news is that starting a website for your business is easier and cheaper than ever before. Gone are the days when you had to be a coding mastermind, as the likes of WordPress, Shopify and Squarespace make creating a website possible for those with only basic IT skills. There’s really no excuse not to have an online presence and your customers will expect to find you there.
In this session we will take you through the process of how to create an effective website for your new business. We will look at the key principles that make an effective business website including design and content considerations when building your site as well as the platforms available to you.
We will cover:
- Why do you need a website?
- What is a website and the key things you need (hosting, domain name, etc.)
- What makes a good website
- Setting your online strategy – What is your website designed to do?
- How Google works and the importance of content
- Basic Search Engine Optimisation
- Branding, values, colours and functionality
- Your market, niches and keywords
- Other elements of your online strategy – email, social media, CRM
- GDPR and security
- Basic design, layouts and templates
- Analytics, statistics and monitoring
- Developing and improving your website
The sessions will be run online using Zoom.
To be eligible to attend this free workshop you need to be based in West Devon or South Hams. If you are unsure, you can check by entering your postcode into the Government Council Checker.