Starting Your First Business & Taking it Online
As part of East Devon District Council’s ‘Adapt & Thrive’ programme, this FREE, two part workshop series will help you turn your business idea into reality as we take you through the fundamentals of starting your first business and how to develop an online presence.
In response to Covid-19 and the changing scene for businesses in our region, Cosmic and Business Information Point are providing free training and support for organisations in East Devon.
The sessions are run by one of our highly experienced business advisors who has a wealth of knowledge across a huge variety of business stages and sectors. They know exactly what it takes to plan and launch a successful and sustainable business.
Session One: 03/03/21, 3pm to 5pm
Turn your business idea into reality as we take you through the fundamentals of starting your first business.
You’ll get practical advice on a variety of vital business basics such as choosing the right business structure, managing finances and start-up funding as well as dealing with self-assessment tax.
- Understanding business roles
- Market research and the viability of your business
- The marketing mix and setting prices
- Personal financial requirements and budget.
- Understanding business income and expenditure.
- Registering your business with HMRC.
- Setting goals and major pitfalls to avoid
Session Two: 04/03/21, 3pm to 5pm
Having an online presence for your new business is virtually essential as consumers are increasingly turning to the internet to research products, services and brands. If that isn’t convincing enough, a survey of over 2,000 small and micro-businesses by website provider 123-Reg found that businesses with a website were 51 per cent more likely to grow than those without.
The good news is that starting a website for your business is easier and cheaper than ever before. Gone are the days when you had to be a coding mastermind, as the likes of WordPress, Shopify and Squarespace make creating a website possible for those with only basic IT skills. There’s really no excuse not to have an online presence and your customers will expect to find you there.
In this session we will take you through the process of how to create an effective website for your new business. We will look at the key principles that make an effective business website including design and content considerations when building your site as well as the platforms available to you.
We will cover:
- Why do you need a website?
- What is a website and the key things you need (hosting, domain name, etc.)
- What makes a good website
- Setting your online strategy – What is your website designed to do?
- How Google works and the importance of content
- Basic Search Engine Optimisation
- Branding, values, colours and functionality
- Your market, niches and keywords
- Other elements of your online strategy – email, social media, CRM
- GDPR and security
- Basic design, layouts and templates
- Analytics, statistics and monitoring
- Developing and improving your website
The sessions will be run online using Zoom and joining details will be sent via email.
To be eligible to attend this free workshop you need to be based in the East Devon area. If you are unsure, you can check by entering your postcode into the Government Council Checker.